Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A wooden box with no home

Before I get into the bulk of this post I just wanted to say stay safe and warm everyone in Buffalo,NY today. Don't travel if you don't have to! I can actually believe I am typing this sentence, which is sad, but I can't believe I am actually seeing this happen...To say this winter has been bad is an understatement. Today we got issued a blizzard warning until 2am Thursday. This is the second blizzard warning we got this winter. We are expected to have storm totals of 16". Craziness. Yesterday it was a high of 48° today, we have a march blizzard. Cool. 

So one of our local craft stores in the area is closing, which means crazy close out discounts. Right now they are running 40% off everything and they will eventually get to 90% off. This little wooden box caught my eye as I was running around the store grabbing as much as I could. 

How charming and precious is this little box that could? This was very unlike me to buy something that I had no end use for within crafting. But you know what? I'm so glad I grabbed this, and for only $2.99 if it didn't work out its not like I broke the bank.
For this project is was thinking a tri tone with a nice beefy stain on where the cut outs are to showcase the beautiful craftsmen ship.
I've used these stains once before, and I'm kind of obsessed. They are just as small as a normal acrylic craft paint bottle and they go on very easy and they don't smell as much as normal stains. I started first by doing the staining.
I decided the oak stain was getting lost with what I envisioned so I took the walnut stain and applied it over my oak stain, the result was actually exactly what I was looking for.
Then I just started to paint a lighter grey around the top edge and a darker moody grey on the bottom half.
The inside of the box I wanted a pop of color, but before I could do that I had to apply the stain to the inside cutout panel. 
With all staining you want to make sure you are removing excess stain and to stain with the grain. 
I just painted the insides and the lips of the wood pieces the same colors as the outside and the I chose my pop color, a lilac.
Four coats later, that's right four coats! The wood they used to make this was very absorbent. But once it was painted I really really liked it.
Once it was dried, it need a home. Currently it's been living on a small shelf in my bedroom, but I have a feeling it will be moving around my home a bit before it finds it's perminant home. 
It's actually not too bad there. It's been on this shelf now for about two weeks so I'm definitely living with it a bit before I move it. 















No comments:

Post a Comment